Most Common Causes of House Fires

When your house is fire, people say it is more unacceptable than your house being robbed. Given this, you have to remember the things that may cause fire if you don’t want to experience its aftermath. The first step is making sure everything in your house is in good working order whether that is getting your Macomb stove serviced, or your Seattle water heater looked at, or make an appointment for the best Tulsa garage door repair to get done.

Cooking Equipment

When a pot or pan overheats or splatters greases, it can take seconds to cause a fire. Stay in the kitchen when cooking, especially if using oil or high temperatures; most kitchen fires occur because people get distracted and leave their cooking unattended. Keep combustibles (e.g. oven mitts, dish towels, paper towels) away from heat sources.

Heating Equipment

Have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified technician, and your chimney cleaned and inspected annually. Keep portable heaters at least one meter away from anything that can burn (including curtains, furniture, and you), and don’t use your heaters to dry shoes or clothes. Install a carbon monoxide alarm to alert you to deadly carbon monoxide gas.

Careless Smoking

Make the bedroom off-limits to smoking, and supervise smokers who may become drowsy (i.e. on medication, drinking) or forget to extinguish their cigarette. Use large, deep ashtrays; never place an ashtray on or near anything that will burn; and check furniture for fallen cigarettes/embers (a butt can smoulder for hours before causing furniture to burst into flames).

Electrical Equipment

Ensure the following:

  • Your electrical appliances don’t have loose or frayed cords/plugs
  • Your outlets aren’t overloaded with plugs
  • You’re not running electrical wires under rugs or heavy furniture
  • You’re not overusing an extension cord.
  • Be careful about do-it-yourself electrical projects; many home fires are caused by improper installation, so use a licensed electrician.

Candles

Keep candles in a sturdy holder on a level surface, away from combustible materials and out of the reach of children or pets. Blow them out before leaving the room.